Monday, August 23, 2010

BEMIDJI say whaaaaat!

So I am about to do a complete 180 right now. We are now moving to Bemidji, Minnesota, in the beginning of October, yes, this October ha. So just ignore everything in that previous post. It is very sudden, I know, but we found out after registering for classes that Nicholi will not be getting instate tuition because he has not lived here an entire year. We thought since he will have lived a year in November, & that's like the 2nd month of the semester, it should be fine. But apparently it is not fine. Because he registered for all of his classes already, they will not grant him residency, indefinitely, unless he waits another year before starting school. They want him to prove he moved here for work or whatever, not just for using their school system. Isn't that stupid? We thought for sure there will be some sort of loophole or they will just be generous & let us have it, it's just one a month shy, but no. They want to squeeze him of all he's got. So that is what sparked our interest in MN again. Because obviously Nicholi is not going to be waiting another year to start, he already took a year off to do the whole wedding thing & move up here & work. & now that he has decided on being a psychiatrist, that means med school. So he does not want to put it off any further, & neither do I.

So what's in MN you ask? Well Nicholi's dad is a professor at Bemidji State University in northern MN & so if Nicholi attends there, his tuition will be entirely payed for. & if I attend, FAFSA will still cover me :) & they might even give me more than i need per semester so i could potentially be getting payed to go to school. & who doesn't like the sound of that? Actually being in Minnesota is the only real sacrifice. I have never dealt with snow, or sub zero temperatures, so yeah, I'm a little nervous. But Nicholi's parents are there & his younger siblings who I miss so incredibly much!! It will be really nice seeing them more often like I used to. Also gramdma TT is there, & Nicholi's dad's parents are thinking of moving up as well. I also have an aunt who lives in MN who i don't ever see. So there are a few great reasons to be there. & with all of us there, my parents & family are sure to come visit at least once a year right? I think so. & Bri has some family in MN & Minneapolis is a constant layover for flights to NY so Tawny & Bri will hopefully visit as well. I can see this working, definitely.

I will really miss our home here in Portland, it really does feel like home, I love our little apartment with our super sweet landlords. We've also made some really great friends here who we will be sad to leave behind. I will really miss Uncle Joey, Amy & Jensen too, i loved being so close to them! Not to mention i just got this great new job that I will have to leave behind after not even 3 months of working there. I feel bad almost, but it was completely unforeseeable. I will really miss the mountains, the gorge, the OCEAN & all of our fun visitors, as well as being only 15 minutes away from every concert & venue. But we will not be there forever, just for the 4 years it takes to graduate, then we are outta there. We have taken a vow haha. Nicholi will apply for med school somewhere really fun like NY or LA & we will go wherever he gets in, but whether we are moving this October or 4 Octobers from now, we will be moving for med school either way, because there aren't any close to Portland. So Bemidji will just be a little adventure ha. I really am excited. I wasn't before, but now i can't wait. It really will be fun & new & different. One amazing benefit of this move is that i won't have to start at a jr college, i'm already accepted to BSU! Awesome! That would not happen anywhere else basically haha, i didn't even take the SAT's or the proper college required courses in high school. I beat the system! & i love that! ha

Well that is everything new for now. Until next time..

3 comments:

  1. That IS a change!! Lauren how exciting though...I'm happy that you guys figured out what to do, and getting free tuition is not EVER a bad thing! We'll have to get up there to see everyone...but maybe not til the summertime....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and what camera do you have?! It has the most amazing picture--i love all of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah it's a huge change, but i'm really excited. i know & rent there is like $400 for a nice apartment, man we are going to save SO MUCH $$$$! :) yes we would love for you guys to come visit! & i need to meet real mark, the only mark i've ever met is very sick mar lol.

    not all the pictures on the side bar were taken with my camera but i have a sony cybershot DSCH20 10x zoom. I really like it, because it's like in between a regular digital camera & a super fancy one with a giant lens. but maybe it's not the camera, maybe it's my raw natural talent lol... jk

    ReplyDelete