Monday, January 10, 2011

And Here Is A List Of The Weird Quirky Things Known Only To Bemidji,Minnesota:

-They substitute the word casserole for "hotdish" 
-Everyone here drives EXACTLY the speed limit,no more, no less
-Minnesotans can say "apple", but they can't say "bag", it's pronounced "bayg" or "flag" is "flayg"
-Donuts are awful, hard & not sweet (that goes for all desserts actually but donuts are the worst)
-Everything starts early, if you're on time, you're late
-Snowmobiler's use fast-food drive-thrus & have their own little tiny STOP signs along the roads
-Everyone wears camouflage, all the time
-People put the word "for" in front of an adjective, example: "Aw, for cute." or "Haha, for funny." Yeah I know, it doesn't make any since but I swear, they do it.
-Vans shoes don't exist, in their places, Ugg boots
-instead of saying "yall" it's "you's" example: "You's have a nice day now!"
-The Minnesota accent goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, "Yep, ya, yoobetchya." Translation: "Yes, correct." or "OOFDA!" & "Holy Buckets!" Either can mean variations of "Oh My Gosh!"
-Schools are closed on the first day of fishing season, hunting season, ect.
-An "ice house" can contain so much as a bed, a heater, a tv, wifi, a stove, a bathroom, & a fridge. It's more or less a mancave on ice with an excuse to get wasted.
-Native Americans take the place of Mexicans in every aspect
-The Casio's buffet is the best restaurant around
-Taco in a bag: a bag of Doritos chips filled w/ taco meat, letuce, tomatoes, & nacho cheese sauce, served at sporting events, fairs, schools, & anything else involving a food vendor. 
-Soda does not exist, it's "Pop" here
- If you are male, you wear a baseball hat at all times & refer to it as a "ball cap"
-Drinking heavily is a sport, pastime, hobby, whatever you want it to be
-Snow days do not exist, you just attach a plow to the front of your truck & go about your day as usual
-Minnesota loves giant, tacky, paper mache-looking statues
-people tip less generously
-Land of a thousand lakes, & a hundred thousand mosquitoes
-no public restroom I've used so far has had seat covers

More to come....

1 comment:

  1. It's called "Minnesota Nice."
    There's even a cafe with that name in downtown Bemidji. Excellent local fare. You should try it for a Valentine's day date don't cha know.
    I thought that living in Hawaii for most of my adult life would cure me of many of these maladies, and it has. But I still say "bayg." And I love the statues.
    I didn't say "for cute" for a very very long time. The other day I caught myself saying it. GASP!
    Otherwise I'm cured of the majority of the things you list. (I refuse to call it "pop." It's "soda.")

    ReplyDelete